Pitch a Story
We are looking for original work, new ideas and new ways of telling stories related to Japan. If you want to write for us, we would love to hear from you!
JAPAN and the WORLD contains articles and contributions from senior officials, foreign missions and businesses in Japan, including ambassadors, diplomats and company executives. All articles and interviews are uploaded and permanently archived on our website and promoted via social media.
- Please submit pitches and completed articles for consideration using the form below.
- Preference will be given to original reporting and analysis, but we will also consider commentary. Please note that we only cover stories related to Japan.
- Submissions should range between 300 and 800 words. For original reporting, we recommend first pitching ideas to the editor.
- If you have a story idea, please provide a few links to previous work and a few references. Feel free to include as much detail as you like in your pitches, but we generally only need a few sentences for each idea.
- If you are attaching a complete article, please submit as a Word document rather than a PDF. We encourage the use of in-line hyperlinks for acknowledging sources.
- In some cases, we may ask you to submit photographs or video footage along with your text. We will specify this over email depending on the story.
- If you seek compensation, please indicate this clearly in your pitch, and whether the article has been published elsewhere. Any payment must be agreed by the editor in advance.
- Please allow a minimum of 3 days to get back to you.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.